Growing up in a third world country hunger was always around. I was fortunate enough that I never experienced it firsthand, but It was very everywhere. Especially after I became a mom it was devastating to see children asking for money to eat. Of course, this is an extreme example, which unfortunately has worsened with the time, but it is also the reality of many countries around the world.
Hunger is not always easy to see – especially in America- but it does exist! And probably it is closer than you think. Did you know that one in five children in the America are hungry? That means that one in five children can’t create, study, or reach their full potential as human beings. That is unacceptable!
- 1 of every 5 children in America live in households without consistent access to adequate food.
- 21 million children rely on free or reduced-price lunches for their nutritional needs on an average school day.
- 11 million children receive free or reduced-price school breakfast.
- 47 percent of snap (supplemental nutrition assistance program) participants are under the age of 18 years.
- 3 out of 5 k-8 teachers say they regularly see students come to school hungry.
There’s plenty we can do, even as individuals. Organizations like Hunger is need constant support and awareness-building efforts at the community level.
The Albertsons Safeway family of stores will be having a national “Hunger Is” campaign taking place September 1st through September 30th, 2015 to help aid in the relief of childhood hunger in America. This program is designed to raise awareness, volunteer hours, and funds that will improve health outcomes for hungry children and their families.
There are three ways to help the Hunger Is program:
1 – Brand Partnerships where any purchase of a participating product earns a meal. Participating Brands/Products include:
3.- Directly on the official Hunger is website.
Visit you local Safeway or Albertsons store and help to end childhood hunger in America!
This is a sponsored conversation written by me on behalf of Albertsons Safeway . The opinions and text are all mine.