Everyone says breakfast is the most important meal of the day; and I agree, but everyone gets bored of the typical breakfast: eggs, toast, cereal… etc. Once in a while it’s good to have a delicious, easy, different, and creative breakfast.
A few days ago I heard my daughter’s boyfriend talking about breakfast pizza and to be honest I hadn’t heard about it before. I can even say I would have never even thought of a breakfast pizza as a dish. But his comments about it kept going around my head so I started doing some research and surprisingly I found some very interesting ideas.
After contemplating the thought of actually cooking a breakfast pizza, I bought pre-made pizza dough at the grocery store. My brain immediately started to create new ideas. I used my family’s favorite breakfast ingredients to make the pizza: eggs, cheese, bacon, mushrooms and spinach. But basically, you can put whatever you can think of.
I made two types; one with scrambled eggs and the other one with sunny side up eggs. We all enjoyed the sunny side up egg pizza A LOT more. If you’re going to make it for the children I think scrambled eggs would be less messy. It’s so easy and quick to make that you can afford to prepare multiple types and please everyone at the same time!!
- 1 tube of Pillsbury® thin pizza crust 11oz
- 3 tablespoons of olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup of onion finely chopped
- 1 cup of fresh mushrooms sliced
- 2 cups of fresh baby spinach
- 6 slices of bacon cut into small strips.
- 2 cups of mozzarella cheese shredded
- 3/4 cups of parmesan cheese grated
- 3 - 4 eggs
- Preheat oven to 400º F.
- Open tube of Pillsbury ® pizza dough as directed.
- Stretch the dough into a rectangular nonstick baking tray. Using a pastry brush paint the dough with olive oil and sprinkle a little ground pepper. Place in the oven and cook for 5-8 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove from oven and reserve.
- In a medium skillet over medium heat 2 tbsp olive oil. Saute onion for 3 minutes or until translucent. Add mushroom and cook for 3 minutes. Add spinach and cook for 2 more minutes. Reserve
- Heat a medium skillet over hight heat. When the skillet is hot add bacon and cook until crispy. Remove from the pan and place it on a paper towel to absorb excess fat.
- Sprinkle pizza dough, previously baked, with half of mozzarella and parmesan cheese. Arrange spinach mixture evenly over the dough leaving room for the eggs.
- Carefully crack the eggs on top and sprinkle with some salt and pepper to taste.
- Sprinkle it with bacon and the rest of the parmesan and mozzarella.
- Bake for 5 minutes or until cheese melts.
- Serve hot .
Don't overcook the pizza dough the first time in the oven, or it might look burned at the end.
The Ultimate Guide to Eggless Baking!
Includes more than 70 easy-to-make recipes along with full-color photos, detailed instructions, and helpful tips for spectacular results.Order Now!