These Carne Asada Fries Nachos are easy to prepare, cheesy, and wonderfully savory! Perfect for Game Day, or anytime you want to bring out a crowd-pleasing dish to your table.
This Carne Asada Fries Nachos recipe is a must-serve for Game Day for us during football season! It’s my family’s absolute FAVORITE, and believe me this dish doesn’t leave you any leftover. No even a tiny crumb.
It’s basically the classic nachos we all know and love, but made with fries instead of corn tortilla chips. This irresistible Carne Asada Fries Nachos is BIG hit at every gathering, big or small! And because Game Days aren’t really about being a health nut, I like to add an almost obscene amount of cheese sauce. But to balance the things out a little, I also add some vegetables, such as tomatoes, avocado, etc … so that guilt does not kill me.
This recipe is super delicious and a total winner!
CARNE ASADA MARINATE
I am a HUGE fan of carne asada and I love being able to prepare it at home whenever I want! Today, I’m sharing my take on carne asada. I’m not blowing open any top-secret recipes here. This is my personal recipe that I’ve made for YEARS. I claim no authority or authenticity on my carne asada skills other than it’s undeniably mouthwatering and delicious!
One of my “secrets” when I make carne asada is not let the meat marinade more than 8 hours, because the steak gets kind of mushy.
Carne asada is typically made with skirt steak, but my personal favorite is flank steak, because it’s faster to cook and easier to slice, and it’s leaner.
Some recipes out there call for dried or fresh chilies, but I use ancho chile powder because it’s easy to find and convenient.
To prepare the marinade add all the ingredients in a plastic bag, shake to combine, add the steak, close, and let all the flavors sink into the meat.
The next step is grilling! You can use a ridged grill pan or an outdoor grill, whatever you prefer, or is available. When the steak is cooked to your liking Remove steak from the grill and allow to rest for 5 minutes to allow the juices to settle. Make sure that you slice it against the grain—that is, perpendicular to the muscle fibers that appear in the meat.
Feel free to add more toppings as you like, such as sliced black olives, black beans, sliced jalapeños, corn, sour cream, guasacaca, etc…
Game Day, any time you have hungry friends coming over, or any occasion really…make this and watch it disappear in seconds.
If you make this recipe, be sure to snap a photo and hashtag it #MommysHomeCooking. I’d love to see what you cook!
Carne Asada Fries Nachos
- ½ cup orange juice
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 12 oz beer
- 4 garlic gloves crushed
- 2 teaspoons salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon Ancho chile powder
For the fries nachos:
- 2 lb flank steak or skirt steak
- 1 lb bag seasoned Waffle Cut Fries 1.25
- 1 cup cheese sauce grated (or more to taste)
- 1 cup tomatoes diced
- 1 cup avocado diced
- ¼ cup green onion sliced
- leaves Cilantro for garnish chopped
- Add all the marinade ingredients into a plastic bag, close and shake it up really well to combine. Add the flank steak into the plastic bag, close and shake to combine. Refrigerate for 1 hour or up to 8 hours, so the flavors can sink into the meat.
- Bake fries following package instructions.
- Preheat a ridged grill pan, or an outdoor grill, over medium high heat. Brush the grates with a little oil.
- Pull the steak out of the marinade and season it on both sides with salt and pepper to taste.
- Grill the steak for 8 to 10 minutes per side, turning once, until steak is well charred on outside and cooked to your liking. Remove steak from the grill and allow to rest for 5 minutes to allow the juices to settle. Slice against the grain into thin strips.
- To assemble the fries nachos: arrange a layer of fries on a baking sheet, or a heat-proof platter, evenly distribute cheese sauce over the fries. Broil the fries nachos for 2 to 3 minutes just to melt the cheese. Remove from the oven and add carne asada strips, tomatoes, avocado and green onions. Garnish with the cilantro sprigs.
- Serve immediately.