This Cheesy Potatoes and Cod Casserole recipe is cheesy, creamy, and easy to make! Loaded Potato, cheese and cod, this dish is a whole dinner in one! For sure a go-to dinner for any day of the week.
This is a sponsored conversation written by me on behalf of Sargento. The opinions and text are all mine.
We can deal with the cold weather when we’ve got eats like this: An ooey-gooey Cheesy Potatoes and Cod Casserole!
As I’ve mentioned many times before, in my opinion, cheese and potatoes are a match made in heaven, and this Cheesy Potatoes and Cod Casserole is simply divine.
It’s creamy and cheesy, as expected, but also laced with salty flakes of cod. It’s then topped with more cheese!
My mom used to make this casserole for special occasions. She used a mild-flavor fish, such as flounder or red snapper, but every time I made it, my husband kept complaining that it was just a little blah. It needed a more flavorful fish for the wow factor.
So, I decided to use cod… what is the result? Blah-no-more. HA! This Cheesy Potatoes and Cod Casserole is heaven on a plate!
One of the many things I love about this dish is that it is a whole dinner in one!
Potatoes + Cheese + Fish.
The type of cheese you add is important since it will add an extra layer of flavor. In the past, I have used parmesan and mozzarella, but when I saw the NEW Sargento® Blends™ 5 Cheese Italian Slices at my local Harris Teeter, I knew this would be the right way to go.
Sargento® Blends™ 5 Cheese Italian Slices are a blend of Mozzarella with Romano, Parmesan, Fontina and Asiago cheeses.
Do I need to say more?
It’s crazy delicious! Its creaminess is out of this world. I have been using it in sandwiches, wraps, and almost everything that calls for cheese.
You can find Sargento® Blends™ 5 Cheese Italian Slices, and the rest of Sargento®’s 100% real, natural cheeses, in the dairy aisle at Harris Teeter with the rest of the pre-packaged sliced cheese. If you buy it from 11/1/18 – 11/31/18, you can save $0.75 onONE (1) Sargento®Sliced Cheese at Harris Teeter (must be redeemed by 12/31/18) with you e-VIC card.
The cream mixture is very easy to make! Just combine all the ingredients of the sauce in a microwave-safe cup or bowl. Place cup in the microwave and heat until the butter is melted, and the mixture is warm, about 2 – 3, 30-second bursts.
I like to warm the cream mixture in the microwave before putting the dish in the oven because it reduces the chance that the mixture curdles.
After cooking the cod, slicing the potatoes, and combining the cream ingredients, it’s finally time to build the casserole. You’ll be layering cream, potatoes, cooked cod, and cheese. YUM!
LOOKING FOR MORE CHEESY RECIPES?
Cheesy Potatoes and Cod Casserole
- 10 Sargento® Blends™ 5 Cheese Italian Slices (198 gr / 7 oz)
- 1 cup Sargento® Shredded Parmesan Cheese
- 4 cod fillets , about (750 gr / 26 oz total) (see notes)
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 3 lb (1.4 kg) potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced (about 6-8 medium potatoes) (see notes)
- Parsley , chopped (optional)
- 6 tablespoons (85 gr) unsalted butter
- 2 cups (480 ml) heavy cream
- 1 cup (240 ml) half and half
- 2 teaspoons onion
- 2 teaspoons garlic
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- Place cod in a medium saucepan and cover with fresh water. Bring to a gentle simmer over medium-low heat. Cook the cod until it flakes easily when poked with a fork, 10 to 12 minutes. Transfer the cod to a plate and let it cool enough to handle, then shred it. If the cod has skin and or bones, remove them. Set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 400º Fahrenheit(200°Celsius). Butter a baking dish. I used an oval casserole baking dish (1.5 Qt.).
- Combine all ingredients of the sauce in a microwave-safe cup or bowl. Place cup in the microwave and heat until the butter is melted, and the mixture is warm, about 2 – 3, 30-second bursts. Set aside.
- Add 1/3 of the cream mixture on the bottom of the dish. Spread about 1/3 of the potato slices into the bottom of the prepared baking dish. Top with half of the flaked cod and then top the fish with cheese. Repeat one more time, finishing with one more layer of potatoes and the remaining cream mixture.
- Cover loosely with foil and bake for 45 – 60 minutes, or until the potatoes are fork tender.
- Remove from oven, sprinkle with parmesan cheese, and bake without foil for 10 minutes or until golden. Let it rest for 5 minutes before serving.
- Garnish with chopped parsley, if desired. Serve hot.
📱When you make this recipe, be sure to snap a photo and hashtag it #MommysHomeCooking. I’d love to see what you cook!
* This post contains affiliate links, thank you for the support in keeping Mommy’s Home Cooking up and running!