This Easy Vanilla Buttercream Frosting recipe makes the most creamy, smooth, and delicious frosting ever!
With the perfect combination of butter and sugar, this amazing vanilla buttercream holds its shape beautifully so it’s perfect for piping even the craziest designs.
Vanilla Buttercream Frosting Recipe
It was about time I share my favorite and super Easy Vanilla Buttercream Frosting recipe!
I know there are a zillion of buttercream recipes in the internet, but I still receive many emails asking what recipe I used to make my eggless vanilla cake, or my eggless cupcakes, or my eggless soft sugar cookies so I thought it would be a good idea to publish mine so you can have it handy anytime.
This Easy Vanilla Buttercream Frosting recipe is super simple to make. No complications. No weird ingredients.
It’s creamy, smooth, and delicious! With the perfect combination of butter and sugar, this amazing vanilla buttercream holds its shape beautifully so it’s perfect for piping even the craziest designs.
TIPS TO MAKE SMOOTH BUTTERCREAM
- Make sure your butter is softened.
- Sieve the confectioners’ sugar to eliminate any clumps as these will not dissolve easily.
- Use heavy cream or heavy whipping cream to make it extra creamy. This also helps the buttercream to hold its shape.
HOW TO STORE BUTTERCREAM
Buttercream can be stored in the refrigerator for 7 days and in the freezer for 3 months.
CAN I MAKE BUTTERCREAM AHEAD OF TIME?
Yes! Cover tightly and store for up to 1 week in the refrigerator. To use, allow it to come back up to room temperature and beat again for a few minutes so it’s creamy again.
CAN I FREEZE BUTTERCREAM?
Yes! Cover tightly and freeze for up to 3 months. To use, thaw in the refrigerator then beat the frosting for a few minutes so it’s creamy again.
HOW LONG BUTTERCREAM LAST IN THE REFRIGERATOR?
The buttercream keeps well in the refrigerator for up to 7 days.
VARIATION YOU CAN APPLY TO THIS BUTTERCREAM RECIPE
The best thing about this recipe is that you can change it up to make different flavors of frosting. A few easy ways to change it up is to add different extracts like coconut, mint, almond, lemon, etc. You can also add finely grated lemon or orange zest. And of course, gel food coloring for a splash of color.
HOW MUCH BUTTERCREAM do I need TO FROST 12 CUPCAKES?
To frost 12 cupcakes half this recipe. Meaning, 1 cup butter, 16 oz confectioners’ sugar, 2 tablespoons heavy cream and a pinch of kosher salt.
HOW MUCH BUTTERCREAM do I need TO FROST 2 LAYERS CAKE?
To frost a 2 layers cake, you need to follow this recipe exactly. Meaning, 2 cup butter, 32 oz confectioners’ sugar, 3 tablespoons heavy cream and a pinch of kosher salt.
HOW MUCH BUTTERCREAM do I need TO FROST 3 LAYERS CAKE?
To frost 3 layers cake, you need to increase this recipe by half. Meaning, 3 cup butter, 48 oz confectioners’ sugar, 5 tablespoons heavy cream and a 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt.
HOW MUCH BUTTERCREAM do I need TO FROST 1 SHEET CAKE?
To frost 1 sheet pan cake half this recipe. Meaning, 1 cup butter, 16 oz confectioners’ sugar, 2 tablespoons heavy cream and a pinch of kosher salt.
Here are a few of my favorite recipes that you can use this frosting with:
Easy Vanilla Buttercream FrostingPrint Pin
- 2 cups (480 gr) unsalted butter
- 32 oz (2lb / 907 gr) confectioners’ sugar (powdered sugar)
- 3 tablespoons (45 ml) heavy cream
- 1 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Pinch of kosher salt
- In a medium bowl, beat with an electric mixer unsalted butter until soft and fluffy, about 2 -3 minutes
- Add confectioners’ sugar, one cup at the time, and keep mixing until blended. Add in heavy cream, pure vanilla extract and salt. Beat on low speed for 1 minute, then increase to high speed and beat for 4 minutes until the frosting is smooth and spreadable.
- If frosting is too thick, beat in heavy cream, 1 tablespoon at a time. If frosting becomes too thin, add up to 1/2 cup more confectioners’ sugar.
📱When you make this recipe, be sure to snap a photo and hashtag it #MommysHomeCooking. I’d love to see what you cook!
* This post contains affiliate links, thank you for the support in keeping Mommy’s Home Cooking up and running!