This Eggless Salted Caramel Apple Cheese Danish is the perfect way to enjoy one of the best gifts of the fall season, Apples!!!
Made with store-bought puff pastry, this easy dessert is super delish and makes a nice change from the usual apple pie.
Eggless Apple Cheese Danish Recipe
This is what happens when you go apple picking and end up with a huge amount of apples in your kitchen. No kidding. Like 234 of them. Ok… I am exaggerating, but lots of apples. We have been eating them in any way possible. This Eggless Salted Caramel Apples Cheese Danish was our favorite.
It was our first time picking apples. My husband and I grow up in a tropical-kind-of-weather country, Venezuela. Having said this, we had picked coconuts, mangos, guavas, papayas, etc.… but not apples. Since we have a new country to call home we want to create new family traditions, preserving the old ones as far as we can, of course. This is so important to us. That way we feel like we give our family a sense of unity and closeness.
So… Off we went to pick apples for the first time ever!
We visit Hollin Farm, just a 30 minute, or so, drive away. It’s a wonderful small apple orchard. Nice place to take kids for apple picking. The ambiance was lovely. Not too crowded. And the weather was perfect that day!
We had a blast. It was a really fun experience. The kids were thrilled to walk along the apple trees line and pick their own apples. Matthew felt like he was an expert farmer. He even taught Vicky how to pick apples. He said: roll the apple upwards off the branch and give a little twist. How the heck he knew that? don’t ask me! They could reach many of the apples on the lower branches, but still needed some help for those higher up.
After a very busy morning picking apples, we took a break from the harvest to enjoy the view and eat delicious homemade ice cream. It was then when we realized that there was a pumpkin patch as well.
We loved spending time as a family and without a doubt, we have a new tradition!
Back to the recipe now.
This buttery flaky pastry with rich cream cheese filling, apples, and salted caramel was a tasty way to celebrate fall. It was very easy to make, and love the fact that I was able to develop an eggless version. Most of the Danish recipes I saw online has eggs in it. The Eggless Salted Caramel Apple Cheese Danish is sweet, but with the perfect amount of salt to balance it. I am telling you, it’s a heavenly dessert.
You can’t stop with just one portion, absolutely delicious!
I had a super special helper for this Eggless Salted Caramel Apple Cheese Danish shoot!! Love her so much =)
Salted Caramel Apple and Cheese Danish
- 2 sheets of frozen puff pastry , thawed
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 lb apples , peeled, cored and thinly sliced (I used honeycrisp)
- 1 cup sugar , divided
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour + 3 tablespoons for the cream cheese filling
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 pinch of nutmeg
- 8 oz cream cheese ,softened
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup salted caramel sauce
- Milk for brushing
- 2 -3 tablespoons coarse sugar
- Preheat oven to 375º F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper; set aside.
- On a floured surface, unfold one pastry sheet. Place pastry on the baking sheet. With a sharp knife, lightly score pastry dough 1 inch in from the edges to mark a rectangle. Using a fork, poke dough inside the markings.
- Bake until golden, about 12- 15 minutes. Cool on a wire rack. Slightly press down with your hands the inside to make room to place the filling. Reserve.
- Meanwhile, melt butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Cook apples until crisp-tender, about 8 minutes, stirring occasionally. Sprinkle over apples 1/2 cup of sugar, 2 tablespoons of flour, cinnamon, and the nutmeg; mix until incorporated. Cook for 2 more minutes; set aside.
- Beat with an electric mixer on medium speed the cream cheese, 1/2 cup of sugar, 3 tablespoons of flour and vanilla until smooth.
- Carefully spread cream cheese mixture over baked pastry. Spoon apple mixture over cream cheese mixture. Drizzle with salted caramel sauce.
- On a lightly floured surface, unfold the remaining pastry sheet. With a sharp knife or a pizza cutter cut the pastry sheet into 5 equal size strips. Then cut them in half. You will end up with 10 strips. Weave a lattice pattern over the filling with the pastry strips (see notes below). Trim any excess pastry. Lightly press edges of top pastry to edges of bottom pastry.
- Lightly brush pastry with milk. Sprinkle coarse sugar over pastry.
- Bake for 35 to 40 minutes or until pastry is slightly puffed and golden brown. Cool on wire rack.
- Serve slightly warm.
- The Best Eggless Chocolate Cake Ever
- Eggless Red Velvet Cake
- Eggless Sugar Cookies
- Eggless Snickerdoodle Cookies
- Eggless Vanilla Cake Recipe
- Eggless Vanilla Cupcakes
- The Best Eggless Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Eggless Chocolate Cupcakes
- More recipes...
The Ultimate Guide to Eggless Baking!
Includes more than 70 easy-to-make recipes along with full-color photos, detailed instructions, and helpful tips for spectacular results.Pre-Order Now!
?When you make this recipe, be sure to snap a photo and hashtag it #MommysHomeCooking. I’d love to see what you cook!
* This post contains affiliate links, thank you for the support in keeping Mommy’s Home Cooking up and running!
This recipe was published in Oct 2014. Updated on Oct 2018.