Learn my tricks to make my Favorite Cream Cheese Frosting That Isn’t Runny! This frosting can be piped with piping tips, and it will hold its shape. Plus, it also tastes incredible!
Favorite Cream Cheese Frosting That Isn’t Runny RECIPE
One frosting that is generally loved is cream cheese frosting. But it can be a little finicky to make. I discovered a few tricks to make a Cream Cheese Frosting that isn’t runny…keep reading to find out more!
With its tangy yet sweet flavor, it isn’t overpowering! Instead, it complements the dessert and enhances the flavor. Unlike buttercream frosting, cream cheese frosting isn’t too sweet, which is honestly a refreshing change.
The best part about my recipe is that I’ve found a way to create Cream Cheese Frosting that isn’t runny! It can be challenging to make cream cheese frosting that is firm enough not to fall. This recipe can be piped with piping tips, and it will hold its shape.
Keep in mind, though, that my cream cheese frosting will hold its shape, but I wouldn’t try to do intricate frosting work with cream cheese frosting. Cream Cheese Frosting doesn’t tend to develop the slightly hard exterior that is essential for complex frosting work. Save that type of decoration for American Buttercream or Eggless Swiss Meringue Buttercream!
So get ready to make your favorite dessert and finish it off with homemade, luscious, Cream Cheese Frosting!
FAVORITE CREAM CHEESE FROSTING THAT ISN’T RUNNY INGREDIENTS
With just five ingredients, my Favorite Cream Cheese Frosting is simple to create and extremely versatile! For the full recipe and specific ingredient amounts, scroll down.
- Unsalted Butter
- Confectioners’ Sugar
- Pure Vanilla Extract
- Kosher Salt
- Full Fat Cream Cheese
That’s it! I love a recipe that doesn’t call for unusual ingredients you only need for that particular food, don’t you?
MY SECRETS TO MAKE A CREAM CHEESE FROSTING THAT ISN’T RUNNY
The secret to making Cream Cheese Frosting that isn’t runny has three simple parts:
- The cream cheese has to be slightly cold.
- Add the cream cheese at the end, after beating the butter and sugar together.
- Beat the cream cheese in, just until incorporated. If you overbeat the frosting, it will lose its firm consistency.
- Refrigerate it for 20-30 minutes before piping.
HOW TO MAKE A CHEESE FROSTING THAT ISN’T RUNNY
This is seriously one of the simplest recipes that yield a fantastically tasty result! Here’s the basic rundown of instructions (for the full recipe, scroll down!):
1 – BEAT butter until creamy and smooth.
2 – ADD one cup confectioner’s sugar and beat. Then add vanilla and salt and beat until smooth.
3 – ADD the rest of the confectioner’s sugar and beat until well incorporated.
4 – BEAT in the slithy cold cream cheese.
5 – BEAT for 2 minutes, or until well incorporated, fluffy, and spreadable.
If the frosting is too stiff to your liking, add one or two tablespoons of heavy cream or milk to loosen it up. I never add any liquid if I want the frosting to hold its shape.
VARIATIONS YOU CAN APPLY TO CREAM CHEESE FROSTING RECIPE
Looking to use Cream Cheese Frosting, but want to modify it to enhance your dessert? Simply add these ingredients to the recipe below to jazz up the flavor:
- Strawberry: 2 tablespoons dried freeze strawberry powder.
- Coconut: 1 teaspoon coconut extract.
- Lemon: 1 teaspoon lemon extract.
- Cinnamon: 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon.
- Pumpkin Spice: 1/2 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice.
- Chai Spice: 3/4 teaspoon chai spice mix.
- Apple Spice: 1/2 teaspoon apple pie spice.
STORING AND FREEZING INSTRUCTIONS
Cover and store leftover frosting for up to five days in the refrigerator. Before piping or spreading the frosting, re-whip it for a few seconds, so it’s creamy again.
You can freeze this cream cheese frosting for up to three months in an airtight container or freezer bag. Don’t forget to label your bag or container!
When you’re ready to use your cream cheese frosting, let it thaw in the refrigerator overnight, then let it sit on the counter to bring it to room temperature. Before piping or spreading your frosting, whip it again for a few seconds, so it’s creamy again.
USES FOR CREAM CHEESE FROSTING
Need some fresh ideas for cream cheese frosting? Here are a few options for my Favorite Cream Cheese Frosting:
Cakes and Cupcakes:
Cookies or Bars:
- Dip for cinnamon donuts or churros
- Topping for Oatmeal (with a little cinnamon, for a cinnamon roll flavor!)
- Topping for baked Sweet Potatoes (in place of marshmallows) with some toasted pecans
- Fried Dumplings
Favorite Cream Cheese Frosting That Isn’t Runny
- Using an electric hand mixer or a stand mixer on medium speed, beat in a large bowl the unsalted butter until smooth and creamy, about 3 – 4 minutes.
- Reduce mixer speed to low, add 1 cup of confectioners’ sugar and keep mixing until incorporated. Add vanilla and salt. Once incorporated, add the remaining confectioners’ sugar; beat on low speed for 1 minute, then increase the speed to medium and beat for 3 – 4 minutes until the frosting is smooth, scraping down the bowl once or twice.
- Add the cream cheese and beat for 2 minutes, or until well incorporated, fluffy and spreadable. Do not overbeat, or the frosting will lose the firm consistency.
- Easy Vanilla Buttercream Frosting
- Easy Chocolate Frosting
- Strawberry Frosting
- Eggless Royal Icing
- Coconut Frosting
- How to Make Eggless Meringue
- Homemade Eggless Marshmallow Fluff
- Browse more recipes…
The Ultimate Guide to Eggless Baking!
Includes more than 70 easy-to-make recipes along with full-color photos, detailed instructions, and helpful tips for spectacular results.Order Now!
Eggless Baking Frequently Asked Questions
You’ve asked, and I’ve answered! Read on for a handful of answers to the most frequently asked questions about Eggless Baking.