Honey Sponge Cake with Lemon and Almond Praline – Three layers of moist sponge cake with a light lemon buttercream frosting, sprinkled with almond praline… You’ve officially reached cake heaven!
I know that holidays are centered on food traditions, classic dishes and family recipes, many of which have been passed down from generation to generation. I love that. Actually, I spent my weekend trying to make my mom’s famous Hallacas (Venezuelan holiday tamales).
But as much as I love classic and traditional recipes every year I feel an urge of also trying some completely new recipes; this is how this Honey Sponge Cake with Lemon and Almond Praline was born.
To make the sponge cake I used I Can’t Believe It’s Not Butter! ® instead of butter. I have to admit that I was a little nervous. I had never used this product for baking before. The final result was amazing. In fact, I couldn’t notice the difference. The cake was deliciously moist and it fluffed up as it was supposed to.
The new I Can’t Believe It’s Not Butter!® is made from real, simple ingredients like a delicious blend of plant-based oils, purified water and a pinch of salt – 100% taste, 0% artificial preservatives – and is still unbelievably delicious. You have to try it to believe it!!
This cake has the potential to become a new classic! It is very EASY. No kidding! so easy! Like ten minutes to prep, or less, and then fifteen minutes, or so, to bake. The ingredients are simple and you probably have most of them on hand right now.
The hardest part is to wait for the cake to cool. But I promise you that the patience pays off once you get to sink your fork into a piece of this utterly divine cake.
While you’re waiting for the cake to cool you can make the almond praline so you can save some time.
Ok, this stuff is ridiculous… It’s sugary, crunchy and nutty. So good. If you have some leftover store it in an airtight container. I particularly like praline on top of ice cream or yogurt, or just eat it with a spoon (you know you want to).
Whether you’re hosting or attending a holiday gathering this cake it is sure to be a hit. It’s perfect to sit around a table with your family, friends, coworkers, whoever, and enjoying an unforgettable yet different dessert.
Honey Sponge Cake with Lemon and Almond PralinePrint Pin Rate
- 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 4 eggs
- 1/2 cup superfine sugar
- 4 tablespoons butter, melted
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1/2 cup superfine sugar
- 1/4 cup sliced almonds, toasted
- 1 cup unsalted butter at room temperature (2 sticks)
- 2 cups confectioners sugar
- 2 teaspoon pure lemon extract
- 1 pinch kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons heavy whipping cream
- Preheat oven to 350º F. Lightly grease a 13 x 9 baking pan, line with parchment paper and grease again.
- In a medium bowl sift the flour and baking powder 3 times. Reserve.
- Whisk egg and sugar with an electric mixer over high speed for 8-10 minutes, or until pale, thick and tripled in volume.
- Sift half the flour mixtures over the egg mixture and gently fold with a spoon. Repeat with the remaining flour.
- Mix to combine butter and honey. Add to cake batter and gently fold.
- Pour batter into the baking pan and bake for 15 - 18 minutes, or until golden and springy. Remove from the oven and let it cool completely.
- Prepare the praline: Increase the oven temperature to 400º F. Line a baking tray with parchment paper and lightly grease it. Sprinkle sugar evenly on the baking tray. Cook for 12- 15 minutes, or until sugar is melted and golden. Remove from oven and sprinkle almonds over the melted sugar. Allow to cool. When cooled break the praline into pieces and process in a food processor until fine.
- Prepare the frosting: With an electric mixer on medium speed cream butter for 8 - 10 minutes until light and fluffy. Add the confectioners sugar gradually, beating after each addition. Beat in lemon extract ,salt, and heavy whipping cream until desired spreading consistency is reached, about 2 minutes.
- Assemble the cake: Carefully cut the sponge cake horizontally into 3 equal parts. Trim the edges if necessary to make it even. Spread frosting over one layer and sprinkle with almond praline. Repeat with the other two layers, finishing with a layer of frosting and praline.
????When you make this recipe, be sure to snap a photo and hashtag it #MommysHomeCooking. I’d love to see what you cook!
* This post contains affiliate links, thank you for the support in keeping Mommy’s Home Cooking up and running!
I was selected for this opportunity as a member of Clever Girls and the content and opinions expressed here are all my own.