These Macaroni and Cheese Stuffed Portobello Mushrooms is a delicious and easy meal that comes together in just 30 minutes, and your family will love it!
First of all, I want to apologize because I have been kind of MIA lately. Things have been a bit crazy around here! And my friend “the weather” doesn’t want to cooperate with me. Seriously, I am not exaggerating. In February my kids when to school only 4 days due to school closing for inclement weather. They are going nuts, and so am I. We’re so ready for spring!
Another reason for my absence is that I’m working on a project that has me very excited: My first e-book. This is something I’ve wanted to do for a long time. I cannot tell you much about it yet. Ummm okayyy. A hint. My family has been eating lots of cupcakes, cakes and cookies. I’m giggling while I write this.
For those crazy-busy days, easy dinner ideas always come in handy. That is the case of this delicious Macaroni and Cheese Stuffed Portobello Mushrooms!
I am still in shock because of my very picky eaters like mushrooms! I don’t know how or when that happened but they do. That makes this mama happy, because mushrooms, in my opinion, are superfoods. They pack a whole lot of goodness and are very versatile.
So to make them even more irresistible I stuffed them with my kid’s all-time-favorite food: Mac and Cheese, and not any mac and cheese but Horizon Mac and Cheese!!!
My family loves Horizon Organic products. I can’t tell you how many cartons of Horizon organic milk our family goes through in a week. Now they are expanding outside of the dairy case and launching macaroni & cheese products.
This new line of products is free of high fructose corn syrup, artificial flavors, colors and preservatives and they are made with non-GMO ingredients. They are also egg-free and Vicky ate them with no issues.
Without a doubt, Horizon Mac and Cheese are a great option for families who love the taste and convenience of macaroni & cheese but want to trade up to options with organic ingredients.
Horizon also created the Horizon MAC-N-ATOR, a very cool tool that will help you to find simple, surprising mac & cheese recipes. You just have to add whatever ingredients you have sitting in your refrigerator or pantry and the MAC-N-ATOR will give recipes ideas for a delicious meal.
These Macaroni and Cheese Stuffed Portobello Mushrooms are very easy to make. You can even use smaller mushroom, like Creminis, also sold as baby Portobello. To make the mac and cheese I followed the packet instructions and because I was looking for a creamier consistency I added a little bit of heavy cream and parmesan cheese, but this is totally optional.
This is a meal that the whole family will enjoy. It’s got enough flavor to keep the kids interested….and enough kick to keep the adults happy!
Macaroni and Cheese Stuffed Portobello Mushrooms
- 4 Portobello caps, cleaned and stemmed
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 cup plain panko
- 1/4 cup basil leaves finely chopped
- 1 box Horizon Macaroni and Cheese Classic
- 1 cup frozen corn, thawed
- 1/2 cup red pepper, cubed
- Preheat oven to 400º F. Line a large baking sheet with foil and wire rack. Set aside.
- Using your hands, lightly rub each Portobello mushroom cap with 2 teaspoons of olive oil. Season with salt and pepper. Transfer mushrooms, to the wire rack in the baking sheet, gill side down. Roast until beginning to soften, about 15 minutes. Set aside.
- In a medium skillet heat butter and 1 tablespoon of olive oil over medium heat, then add panko and cook, stirring, until crumbs are golden. Transfer to paper towels to drain. Add basil leaves and season with salt. Set aside.
- Prepare Horizon Macaroni and Cheese following the packed instructions. Add corn and red pepper, mix to combine. Set aside.
- Divide prepared macaroni and cheese among the mushroom caps. Top with bread crumb mixture evenly.
- Bake until golden brown on top and the mushrooms are tender, about 12 to 15 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool slightly
The Ultimate Guide to Eggless Baking!
Includes more than 70 easy-to-make recipes along with full-color photos, detailed instructions, and helpful tips for spectacular results.Order Now!
When you make this recipe, be sure to snap a photo and hashtag it #MommysHomeCooking. I’d love to see what you cook!
* This post contains affiliate links, thank you for the support in keeping Mommy’s Home Cooking up and running!
This is a sponsored conversation written by me on behalf of Horizon Organic. The opinions and text are all mine.