Disclosure: This is a compensated campaign in collaboration with Farmland and Latina Bloggers Connect. Thanks for reading and supporting my partners which allows me to create new and special content like this for my you. As always, all opinions, ideas, and stories stated here are clearly my own.
This Mexican Strata is a simple yet impressive dish perfect for brunch. Full of veggies, cheese and bacon…mouthwatering deliciousness!
If you are hosting an Easter brunch this recipe is for you!!!
I know that many families have Easter dinner tradition, but around here brunch seems to be more popular. I cannot lie. I am a sucker for brunch food. Absolutely love it. But what I don’t like at all is to have to wake up early and cook so when it comes to brunch a make-ahead dish is must for me.
For years I have been making my Egg, Bacon and Potato Breakfast Bake, which we all love. I prepare it the night before and then I just need to pop it into the oven. But now we have another option: Mexican Statra!!!
Unlike frittatas and quiches, the base of the strata is bread cubes that have been soaked in a custardy egg mixture for a couple of minutes or hours.
This Mexican version is made with onions, green peppers, corn, and scallion. I used Monterey jack cheese with jalapeños to give it an extra kick. And of course, lots of Farmland bacon! For some wild unknown reason we don’t conceive a breakfast dish without bacon. Farmland also offers Farmland® Homestyle Sausage, which is gluten free with no MSG; full of the delicious natural flavor.
This recipe is for sure a crowd pleaser! It’s an easy, simple, and hearty breakfast to start off the day right. Plus, little work for you.
You can also sub out any veggies in this recipe, but there is something about this combination that I love with eggs in the morning!
The best part is you can assemble the strata the day before and keep it in the refrigerator to be baked the next morning. Easy peasy!
- 4 eggs
- 3/4 cup whole milk
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 6 slices – 8 Farmland bacon cut into small pieces
- 1/2 cup onion cut into small pieces
- 1/2 cup green peppers diced
- 1/2 cup frozen corn thawed
- 3 scallions white and green parts, finely sliced
- 3 - 4 cups French bread cut into 2-inch cubes (preferably one day old)
- 2 cups Monterey Jack cheese with jalapeño shredded
- 1 avocado peeled and diced
- leaves Cilantro optional
- For individual stratas, butter insides of four individual baking dishes. If serving family style, butter inside of 8 inch baking dish.
- In a bowl, whisk eggs with milk and Dijon. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Reserve.
- Heat a heavy medium skillet over medium heat. Add the bacon and saute until crisp and golden, about 5 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the bacon to a bowl. Add the onion, green peppers, corn and scallions to the pan drippings in the same skillet and saute until translucent, about 4 minutes. Stir in the cooked bacon. Turn off the heat and set aside.
- Fill the baking dish/es half way with cubed bread. Sprinkle with cheese over the bread, then top with vegetable mixture. Then one more layer of bread, vegetables, and finish it with cheese.
- Pour egg mixture evenly over strata/s and let stand for minimum of 20 minutes or overnight.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Bake strata/s uncovered until cooked through, puffed, and golden brown, about 30 minutes. Let stand 5 minutes before serving.
- Garnish with avocado and cilantro, if using.
This is a compensated collaboration with Farmland® and Latina Bloggers Connect. However, all opinions expressed are my own.