The last two weeks have been crazy!
After a few weeks of traveling, I had returned very inspiredly so I started cooking right away!
One of my recipes this week are these delicious sweets from Spain. They are made with ground almonds and sugar and as you can see it can be prepared in different versions. My favorite version is the coconut.
These dulcitos are called “Panellet”. They are traditionally eaten in the Cataluña to celebrate the day of all saints.
I am very happy to have discovered them … They are delicious!
- 3 eggs, at room temperature
- 18 oz ground raw almonds (without skin)
- 1 3/4 cups sugar
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- 1/2 cup milk chocolate morsels
- 3 cups pine nuts
- 2 cups sheered coconut
- 1 cup guava paste
- Separate the whites from the yolks and place in separate bowls.
- Beat, with electric mixer on high speed, the egg whites until stiff. Reserve.
- In large bowl mix the ground almonds, sugar and lemon zest. Add the egg whites and knead with your hands until everything is fully incorporated and you have a firm dough.
- Divide the dough into three equal parts.
- With the first part: Form 1-inch balls. Take a ball and using your fingers make a hole in the center. Place 4-5 chocolate morsels. Close the ball. Cover it with egg yolk. With patience, put the pine nuts over the entire surface. Lightly press them to make sure they are not going to come off. Repeat with the remaining balls.
- With the second part: Mix the dough with 1 cup coconut. Form small cylinders. Wet with egg yolk and cover with more coconut.
- With the third part: Stretch the dough into a rectangular shape. Place the guava paste in the middle and closes along with your fingers. Make sure it is tightly closed, so the filling does not come out when baking. Then cut slices of 1/2 inch.
- Preheat oven to 395 º F
Cover a baking sheet with Parchment paper. Put all the sweet on the baking sheet and brush with egg yolk. Leave space between them, as they grow a bit when baking.
- Bake for 10 minutes or until beginning to brown. Be very careful as they can burn very easily.
- Remove from oven and place on a rack to cool.
Slightly adapted from verycocinar.com