Disclosure: This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions are mine alone. #CollectiveBias #SauceOn
Spicy Tamarind Meatballs – A delicious blend of sweet and spicy!
As I’ve mentioned before, I am trying to develop my taste for spicy food. I think I’ve come a long way. I went from not tolerating any heat at all, to being brave and trying different flavors and levels of heat. Obviously, the easiest way to add that kick to food is with hot sauces, so when I was invited to try El Yucateco products, I thought it would be another great opportunity to test my taste buds.
El Yucateco hot sauces can be found nationwide. There are several types including: Red Habanero Sauce, Green Habanero Sauce, XXXtra Kutbil-ik Hot Sauce (I have not dared to try this one yet) and the newest of all, Black Label Reserve, which is exclusively available at Walmart, where I bought mine.
Just when I was thinking about what recipe I could prepare using these sauces, my husband showed up with a jar of tamarind concentrate. I really love tamarind (brings back fun childhood memories) so I couldn’t wait to get started.
Since the combination of sweet and spicy has always been one of my husband favorites, I decided to lean that direction. Having said that, Spicy Tamarind Meatballs sounded like a perfect idea.
They turned out super divine… and the sauce was incredibly delicious!
I personally don’t usually like frozen meatballs and I prefer to make my own, but the other day we bought some that were actually pretty good so that’s what I used here. Since they came in small size, almost like a cocktail treat or made for hors d’oeuvres, I decided to display them to be served as an appetizer. To tell you the truth though, after I took the photos, we stuffed them into a baguette and ate them like a sandwich. Classy and delicious!
You can also try them wrapped in a tortilla, or if you like, use Naan bread to make a gyro… mmm, that sounds good!.
Tamarind Spicy MeatballPrint Pin Rate
- 1/2 cup of water
- 1/2 cup of molasses
- 1/2 cup of tamarind concentrated
- 4 tablespoons of brown sugar
- 3 gloves of garlic finely cut
- 1 teaspoon of fresh ginger peeled and finely cut
- 1/4 teaspoon of red pepper ground
- 1 - 2 tablespoon of El Yucateco Black Label Reserve I used 1
- 1 tablespoon of Worcestershire sauce
- t Salt and pepper to taste (I didn’ add any)
- 2 lbs . of meatballs cooked (store-bought or homemade)
- Add water to a big skillet, over medium high heat, and bring it to a boil.
- Stir in molasses, tamarind, brown sugar, garlic, ginger, red pepper, El Yucateco hot sauce, and Worcestershire sauce; stir until well combined.
- Try and adjust seasoning if necessary adding salt and/or pepper to your liking, or more hot sauce.
- Add in cooked meatballs and stir to coat evenly.
- Reduce heat to medium low, cover and simmer until sauce is reduced and thickened, about 10 – 15 minutes.
- Serve hot.
Thanks to El Yucateco one Mommyhood’s Diary reader will have the chance to win a $75 Walmart gift card + Gift Basket which include El Yucateco products and apparel, a wood cutting board and cheese knives worth approx. $80 in retail value.
For more opportunities to win RSVP to the El Yucateco Twitter Party here. And don’t forget to follow them on Facebook to get the latest news and more tasty recipes.
To enter the giveaway just follow the prompts in the automated entry form below.