Lentils and Roasted Tomato Stew
Lentils and Roasted Tomato Stew - A filling, comforting, healthy, and simply perfect Beluga and Red Lentil Stew with Roasted Tomatoes and Butternut Squash, that can be made in less than 30 minutes!!
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup onion, finely chopped
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 – 3 sweet peppers, chopped (about 1 cup )
- 1 can (14.5 oz) of Hunt’s® fire-roasted tomatoes, undrained
- 1 cup beluga black lentils, rinsed and picked over
- 1/4 cup split red lentils, rinsed and picked over
- 5 cups chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon salt or to taste
- 2 cups butternut squash, chopped into 1/4-inch dice
- Cilantro finely chopped (optional)
Heat the olive oil in a large saucepan over medium high heat. Add the onions, garlic and peppers. Cook for 3-5 minutes or until soft. Add tomatoes and cook for 3 more minutes.
Stir in the lentils and add the chicken stock. Add all the spices and bay leaf. Check seasonings and add salt to taste, if needed. Bring to boil, add butternut squash.
Reduce heat to medium low and Simmer, uncovered, for 30 minutes or until lentils are tender.
Remove from the heat and sprinkle with fresh cilantro, if using. Enjoy warm!
You can find beluga lentils at specialty gourmet stores, like Whole Foods or here.
For a vegetarian version use vegetable broth.
Looking for more soup recipes?
★ Did you make this recipe? Don't forget to give it a star rating below!
Please note that nutritional information is a rough estimate and it can vary depending on the products used.
Calories: 288kcal | Carbohydrates: 37g | Protein: 13g | Fat: 10g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 1218mg | Potassium: 533mg | Fiber: 12g | Sugar: 6g | Vitamin A: 6559IU | Vitamin C: 80mg | Calcium: 102mg | Iron: 5mg