Three Cheese Shrimp Beer Soup
This Three Cheese Shrimp Beer Soup is a delicious and warming way to keep you cozy on chilly days. It’s warm, rich and hearty. Ready in less than 30 minutes!
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup onion, chopped
- 1 cup carrots, peeled and chopped into small pieces
- 1/2 cup green onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon dry mustard
- Dash cayenne pepper
- 3 cups seafood stock (see notes)
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 6 oz bottle beer (see notes)
- 1 cup frozen hash-brown potatoes, diced or shredded (I used shredded)
- 6 – 8 jumbo shrimp, peeled, deveined and rinsed (see notes)
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar, at room temperature
- 1 cup shredded Monterey Jack with jalapenos, at room temperature
- 1 cup shredded Manchego, at room temperature
- Snipped fresh parsley o chives to garnish (optional)
Melt butter in a Dutch oven over medium heat. Add onion, carrot, green onions, and garlic. Cook for 5 - 8 minutes or until vegetables are tender, stirring occasionally.
Stir in flour, dry mustard, and cayenne pepper. Add stock and continue stirring until incorporated and bubbly. Add beer and cream. Stir in potatoes and mix to combine. Bring to boiling; reduce heat to low. Simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add shrimp and cook for 2 – 3 minutes more, or until shrimp are opaque and pink.
Gradually stir in cheeses in 3 batches, stirring after each addition, until cheeses are melted.
If desired, garnish each serving with parsley or chive. Serve immediately.
I used seafood stock because it happened I had some in my pantry, but if you don't have it use vegetable stock.
Avoid using a dark beer, which could make the soup too bitter.
You can also use chicken instead of shrimp. If using chicken add chicken stock.
Calories: 652kcal | Carbohydrates: 26g | Protein: 30g | Fat: 46g | Saturated Fat: 29g | Cholesterol: 163mg | Sodium: 1250mg | Potassium: 566mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 3g | Vitamin A: 6740IU | Vitamin C: 10.9mg | Calcium: 836mg | Iron: 2.3mg