Bacon Choripan with Chimichurri Sauce – A mouthwatering addition to any Super Bowl party. Hands down, this is the best sandwich I have ever made.
Are you ready to get in the football spirit???
In order to do so, you’re going to need an amazing man-approved meal, full of meat and dripping with flavor.
I’ve learned over the years that Super Bowl Sunday is an official “man-holiday”. Let’s be honest, I just pretend to like watching football LOL. Hey, at least I’m trying. The truth is most times I don’t even know what is happening, so I try to hide my complete ignorance about the subject, cooking delicious food, and just showing for the halftime show and commercials. Please, no judgments.
Since The Super Bowl happens once a year I really wanted to make something memorable. And what could be more memorable than a Bacon Choripan with Chimichurri Sauce?
Chimichurri is a green sauce originally from Argentina. It can be used both as a marinade and a sauce. My personalized version of this Argentinean sauce uses cilantro, parsley, and sweet red pepper. It’s garlicky, herby, tangy, and spicy. It’s super easy to make and adds a distinct flavor you are going to love.
Choripan is a type of sandwich with chorizo very popular in Latin America. The name comes from the combination of the names of its ingredients: a grilled chorizo (sausage) and a pan (crusty bread). It’s a real staple, a street-food classic.
To make this sandwich you can cut the chorizo in half lengthwise or cook them whole, it’s totally up to you. Since I was planning to add more ingredients like cheese and bacon, I decided to split mine to make it easy to eat.
I can’t tell you how good this sandwich was. It’s beyond awesome! Really.
I got a little carried away and added a fried egg on top. This not necessary but highly recommended. Yeah!
With this sandwich, you won’t fail to win the affection of your guests!
Bacon Choripan with Chimichurri Sauce
- 1/2 cup parsley leaves, tightly packed
- 1/4 cup cilantro leaves, tightly packed
- 1 shallot, peeled and chopped
- 1 small red sweet pepper, deveined and seeds removed
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled
- 1-2 teaspoons chili pepper flakes
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 cup light tastes olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
For the Choripan:
- 8 slices Farmland® Hickory Smoked Bacon – Classic Cut.
- 4 chorizos (I used fully cooked)
- 4 crusty hot dog buns (I used Portuguese rolls)
- 8 slices cheddar cheese
- 4 fried eggs (optional)
- Make the chimichurri sauce: add all the ingredients in a food processor and pulse until it all combines together. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 400º F.
- Heat a large skillet or griddle over medium heat. Fry the bacon until crisp. Drain on paper towels. Reserve.
- Place chorizos on a cutting board and cut each sausage lengthwise.
- Wipe skillet out with a paper towel and cook chorizos until fully cooked, or warm if you’re using fully cooked, turning once, until casings are crisp.
- Slice the bread lengthwise. Top half the slices of bread with a two slices of cheddar cheese. Place bread in a baking sheet and bake for 3 minutes, or until the cheese is melted and bread is lightly crispy.
- Assemble: Place 2 slices of bacon over the melted cheese, then one cooked chorizo link. Top with a generous douse with chimichurri sauce. Finally one fried egg, if using. Cover with the top half of the bread. Repeat with the remaining sandwiches.
- Serve immediately with fries, more chimichirri sauce and plenty of napkins.
Disclosure: this is a compensated campaign in collaboration with Farmland® and Latina Bloggers Connect. However, all opinions expressed are my own as always. Thank you, though, for supporting them and the other brands which help make this site possible.