Bacon Choripan with Chimichurri Sauce – A mouthwatering addition to any Super Bowl party. Hands down, this is the best sandwich I have ever made.
Are you ready to get in the football spirit???
In order to do so, you’re going to need an amazing man-approved meal, full of meat and dripping with flavor.
I’ve learned with the years that the Super Bowl Sunday is an official “man-holiday”. Let’s be honest, I just pretend to like watching football LOL. Hey, at least I’m trying. The truth is most times I don’t even know what is happening, so I try to hide my complete ignorance about the subject, cooking delicious food, and just showing for the halftime show and commercials. Please, no judgments.
Since The Super Bowl happens once a year I really wanted to make something memorable. And what could be more memorable that a Bacon Choripan with Chimichurri Sauce?
Chimichurri is a green sauce originally from Argentina. It can be used both as a marinade and a sauce. My personalized version of this Argentinean sauce uses cilantro, parsley, and sweet red pepper. It’s garlicky, herby, tangy, and spicy. It’s super easy to make and adds a distinct flavor you are going to love.
When I was thinking what to make, one thing I was sure about was that it must have bacon. My husband will eat anything that starts with bacon… seriously!! So when our friends of Farmland® asked me to create one Latino inspired game time recipe he was the first on board.
Farmland® has been sharing their passion for pork for over 50 years and working with local farm families to secure the best quality pork possible. Because of their commitment to making pork right, they take the time to slow smoke over real wood for maximum flavor and hand-trim select cuts – a difference we tasted in every delicious bite of this Bacon Choripan.
Choripan is a type of sandwich with chorizo very popular in Latin America. The name comes from the combination of the names of its ingredients: a grilled chorizo (sausage) and a pan (crusty bread). It’s a real staple, a street-food classic.
To make this sandwich you can cut the chorizo in half lengthwise or cook them whole, it’s totally up to you. Since I was planning to add more ingredients like cheese and bacon, I decided to split mine to make it easy to eat.
I can’t tell you how good this sandwich was. It’s beyond awesome! Really.
I got a little carried away and added a fried egg on top. This not necessary but highly recommended. Yeah!
With this sandwich, you won’t fail to win the affection of your guests!
Bacon Choripan with Chimichurri SaucePrint Pin Rate
- 1/2 cup parsley leaves, tightly packed
- 1/4 cup cilantro leaves, tightly packed
- 1 shallot, peeled and chopped
- 1 small red sweet pepper, deveined and seeds removed
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled
- 1-2 teaspoons chili pepper flakes
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 cup light tastes olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
For the Choripan:
- 8 slices Farmland® Hickory Smoked Bacon - Classic Cut.
- 4 chorizos (I used fully cooked)
- 4 crusty hot dog buns (I used Portuguese rolls)
- 8 slices cheddar cheese
- 4 fried eggs (optional)
- Make the chimichurri sauce: add all the ingredients in a food processor and pulse until it all combines together. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 400º F.
- Heat a large skillet or griddle over medium heat. Fry the bacon until crisp. Drain on paper towels. Reserve.
- Place chorizos on a cutting board and cut each sausage lengthwise.
- Wipe skillet out with a paper towel and cook chorizos until fully cooked, or warm if you’re using fully cooked, turning once, until casings are crisp.
- Slice the bread lengthwise. Top half the slices of bread with a two slices of cheddar cheese. Place bread in a baking sheet and bake for 3 minutes, or until the cheese is melted and bread is lightly crispy.
- Assemble: Place 2 slices of bacon over the melted cheese, then one cooked chorizo link. Top with a generous douse with chimichurri sauce. Finally one fried egg, if using. Cover with the top half of the bread. Repeat with the remaining sandwiches.
- Serve immediately with fries, more chimichirri sauce and plenty of napkins.
Disclosure: this is a compensated campaign in collaboration with Farmland® and Latina Bloggers Connect. However, all opinions expressed are my own as always. Thank you, though, for supporting them and the other brands which help make this site possible.