These Instant Pot Black Beans with Chorizo are hearty, satisfying and incredibly flavorful! They’re quick and easy to make and perfect for feeding a crowd. Serve them on their own, or as a side dish to complete any meal.
This is hands down the best Instant Pot Black Beans with Chorizo recipe I’ve ever made!
My family LOVE black beans, as much as I do, so I make them frequently. They’re super popular in Venezuela. I guess because they are very cheap, they are available all year long, and like most beans are a good source of protein and nutrients. Plus, black beans are extremely versatile. You can use them to make soups, side dishes, burger patties, or add them to salads, tacos, burritos, quesadillas, arepas, the possibilities are seemingly endless.
These Instant Pot Black Beans with Chorizo are:
Full of flavor,
Easy and quick to make
and SOO delicious.
Beans, in general, can sometimes take a while to cook when made from dried beans, right?
Well… not when you use your Instant Pot! Thanks to the IP’s magic cooking beans takes just 20 minutes for soaked beans and 40 minutes for no-soaked beans.
Can I make beans in the Instant Pot without pre-soaking them?
Yes, just increase the Instant Pot cooking time from 20 minutes to 40 minutes and add 2 more cups of liquid.
What is the difference between Mexican chorizo and Spanish chorizo?
Mexican chorizo is usually sold uncooked (raw), either in a casing or loose. It can be found with other raw meats or sausages at the grocery store. Spanish chorizo is a ready-to-eat dried and cured sausage in a casing. They come in different versions: smoked or unsmoked and may be sweet or spicy.
Spanish chorizo will look similar to this ↓ ↓ ↓
You are going to love this Instant Pot Black Beans with Chorizo recipe! If you have any leftovers, reheat them the next day in a skillet with a little bit of butter. YUM!
Instant Pot Black Beans with Chorizo
- 2 tablespoons oil (vegetable, canola, or avocado)
- 1 yellow onion about 1 cup, quartered
- 6 garlic cloves, peeled
- 7 oz. cured Spanish chorizo, sliced (see notes)
- 1 cup bell pepper, diced (I used green and red)
- 16 oz. black beans, soaked and rinsed (see notes)
- 4 cups chicken stock
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- Fresh cilantro leaves, chopped (optional)
- Place the oil, onion, and garlic in a blender, or a small food processor, and blend until smooth. Set aside.
- Select "Sauté" on the Instant Pot and adjust to more. Add sliced chorizo and cook for 2-3 minutes until it is slightly crispy and has released its fat. Add chopped bell peppers and sauté with the chorizo for 2 more minutes. Using a slotted spoon remove chorizo and peppers from the pot, leaving most of the fat released from the chorizo in the pot.
- Add onion mixture to the pot and cook for about 2 minutes, stirring constantly. Add soaked beans and stock. Mix to combine. Secure lid and close pressure-release valve.
- Select "Beans" adjust to 20 minutes. When the time is over, carefully release the pressure turning the valve to "Venting". Then, carefully remove the lid.
- Select "Sauté" on the Instant Pot and adjust to normal. Add the chorizo and bell pepper to the pot; mix to combine. Let it simmer for 5 minutes. Taste and add salt and pepper, if necessary. Simmer for 2 more minutes. Press "cancel".
- Garnish with cilantro and Serve.
To Soak the Beans:
- Rinse the black beans under running water. Take out dirty, pebbles and broken beans.
- In a large bowl add the beans and 8 cups of water and let them soak for 4 hours or overnight. Beans will swell to at least twice their dry size.
- Discard the soaking water and rinse the beans again.
- Instant Pot Cuban Pulled Pork
- Easy Instant Pot Stroganoff Meatballs
- Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes
- Instant Pot Barbecue Ribs
- Instant Pot Mexican Pulled Pork
- Instant Pot Teriyaki Turkey Meatballs
- Easy Instant Pot Beef and Broccoli
- Instant Pot Hawaiian Pineapple Pork
- More Recipe
The Ultimate Guide to Eggless Baking!
Includes more than 70 easy-to-make recipes along with full-color photos, detailed instructions, and helpful tips for spectacular results.Pre-Order Now!
?When you make this recipe, be sure to snap a photo and hashtag it #MommysHomeCooking. I’d love to see what you cook!
* This post contains affiliate links, thank you for the support in keeping Mommy’s Home Cooking up and running!