These Instant Pot Drunken Beans are seriously savory, hearty, scrumptious, and are easily made in 30 min!
This makes a wickedly delicious big batch, so if you have leftover…smile. Easy Instant Pot Chicken Marsala, Instant Pot Black Beans with Chorizo, Instant Pot Venezuelan Shredded Beef are some of my favorite instant pot recipes to try.
Instant Pot Drunken Beans Recipe
Today we’re making Drunken Beans, a.k.a Frijoles Borrachos. They are beyond easy to make, especially because we are using the Instant Pot. Side note: These are the times I whisper a word of thanks for my amazing Instant Pot. Back to the beans: You’ll love them. They’re hearty, warm and rustic. Basically, they’re the definition of comfort food. Bonus: They have beer (wink). Don’t fret! Most of the alcohol from the beer boil out during cooking.
For those of you who’ve never tried drunken beans, they are basically pinto beans simmered in Mexican beer and bacon. YUM!
These Drunken Beans are one of my favorite side dishes to take to summer potlucks and barbecues since they are the perfect accompaniment to burgers, chicken, carne asada or whatever you’re grillin’ up.
Beans were one of those foods that were pretty common in our household growing up, and one of the things my mom taught me about cooking beans is that they should always be soaked the night before. See recipe notes for instructions.
Most traditional Drunken Beans recipes will require some kind of pepper – Serrano, Jalapeño or Poblano – in order to add heat to the dish, but I decided to use RO*TEL to help me put a spicy spin on my favorite bean recipe.
RO*TEL is made with vine-ripened tomatoes, zesty green chilies and a savory mixture of secret spices. This product is very popular to make queso dips, but I use it in all kind of recipes, such as my restaurant style salsa, enchiladas, carnitas, the possibilities are endless. RO*TEL is here to banish the bland and bring the bold.
I really love cooking beans! they are easy to make, inexpensive, filling, delicious and so versatile. Seriously, you can’t go wrong with beans, at least not at my house.
Let’s keep the party going for the whole month of May.
Instant Pot Drunken Beans
- 6 slices bacon , cut into 1/4-inch pieces
- 1 cup onion , finely diced
- 1 cup green pepper , finely diced
- 3 cloves garlic , minced
- 1 lb (16oz) Pinto beans, picked over, rinsed and soaked (see notes)
- 1 can (10 oz) RO*TEL® Original (diced tomatoes & green chilies)
- 12 oz Mexican beer
- 2 cups chicken or vegetable stock
- 1 – 2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 pinch black pepper
- Turn on the Instant Pot on “Sauté” mode. When hot, add the bacon and sauté for 1 minute. Add the onions and green pepper and sauté for 3 minutes. Add the garlic and sauté for 30 seconds.
- Pour in drained beans, Ro*Tel® tomatoes, beer, stock, salt, cumin, and pepper; mix well.
- Place lid on Instant Pot, make sure steam release handle is on “sealing.” Push “Bean/Chili” mode and cook for 20 minutes. When the time is over allow pressure to release naturally, about 5 – 8 minutes. Open the Instant Pot carefully and mix. Taste and add additional salt and pepper to taste, if necessary. Let it rest a bit before serving, the soup will thicken as it cools.
- Serve the beans topped with fresh cilantro, if desired.
When you make this recipe, be sure to snap a photo and hashtag it #MommysHomeCooking. I’d love to see what you cook!
This Instant Pot Drunken Beans recipe has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and Conagra Brands. All opinions are mine alone.
* This post contains affiliate links, thank you for the support in keeping Mommy’s Home Cooking up and running!