This Slow Cooker Red Wine Hind Shank is rich, hearty, and super satisfying. Cook it in a slow cooker for really tender meat, this classic beef stew is enveloped in a tasty, deeply red wine flavored sauce.
This is a sponsored post written by me on behalf of Rumba Meats. All opinions are entirely my own.
The end of the summer is just around the corner, which means that soups, stews, and chili will be back to my meal planning. To be honest, I couldn’t be more excited, and this Slow Cooker Red Wine Hind Shank recipe is my way to welcome fall!
This Slow Cooker Red Wine Hind Shank is what comfort food is all about. Hearty, rich, savory, and super satisfying.
The hind shank is a very popular cut of beef in Venezuela, and the reason is that it is very budget-friendly. Plus, it’s one of the richest-flavor cuts. The only bad thing is they’re exceptionally tough so I think they’re only suitable for long, slow cooking.
Back in the days, I remember that my mamá and abuelita got up as soon as the sun came up to start cooking the “Carne Guisada”, but thanks to the modern kitchen gadgets you can just prep, set and forget.
You know already that I love Rumba Meats! And now… I Iove it even more because I can buy almost all of their products on Amazon.
Slow Cooker Red Wine Hind Shank
- 3-4 lb Rumba Meats Beef Hind Shank
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons vegetable or canola oil
- 1 1/2 cup beef stock
- 1 1/2 cup red wine
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 onions chopped into quarters
- 4 carrots ,cut into 3-inch pieces
- 1 celery stalk ,cut into 1-inch pieces
- 4 cloves garlic ,minced
- 1 large rosemary sprig
- 4 sprigs thyme
- 2 bay leaves
- ¼ cup chopped fresh parsley to garnish
- Pat beef dry with a paper towel. Season generously with salt and pepper. Toss with the flour.
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Brown beef in the skillet on all sides then transfer to the slow cooker. Note: If your slow cooker has “sauté” mode (like the Instant Pot has) you can do this directly in the slow cooker.
- Add remaining ingredients to slow cooker and cook on low for 8 hours or until meat is fork-tender.
- Using tongs, remove and discard the bones, rosemary and bay leaves.
- Remove the beef and vegetables from the cooking liquid with a tong and place them on a large plate. If desired, shred the hind shank meat and discard any excess fat. Reserve.
- Strain the cooking liquid through a sieve into a bowl. Note: if you want the sauce to be thicker dissolve 2 tablespoons of cornstarch into 2 tablespoons of water. Add this cornstarch slurry to the sauce and let it simmer for 2 -3 minutes until it thickens.
- Return sauce and beef to the pot. Keep it warm until is time to serve.
- Garnish with parsley, if desired, and serve with roasted potatoes, mashed potatoes, pasta, rice or quinoa.