This Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes is creamy, tasty, and just delicious! It’s made with a handful of ingredients, feeds a crowd, and is ready in 20 MINUTES. It also can be prepared ahead of time.
The Instant Pot saga continues!! Today, we are making a super easy, delicious, creamy, out-of-this-world Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes, and it only takes 20 minutes.
When it comes to side dishes, mashed potatoes is pretty much your no-brainer, a workhorse par excellence. I LOVE it! It goes with everything, it easy to make and super tasty, especially if you add some extras such as roasted garlic, parmesan cheese, sour cream etc.
With the holidays just around the corner, I know you will be making TONS of mashed potatoes in next few weeks, so I figured that we could use some help to make an easy recipe, even easier.
Yep! This is the easiest, creamiest mashed potatoes recipe you will ever need.
This Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes is made with a handful of ingredients, feeds a crowd, and is ready in 20 MINUTES thanks to the Instant Pot magic.
TIPS AND TRICKS TO MAKE MASHED POTATOES IN THE INSTANT POT:
- Try to cut all the potatoes about the same size so that they will cook evenly, 1-inch cubes will work great.
- Make sure to add enough water to cover the potatoes. For 5 lb. of potatoes you need to add 4 cups of water.
- Use Russets or Yukon Golds. Of the two, the Russet is my favorite because they make the creamiest mash.
- You can use or low sodium chicken stock, or low-sodium vegetable broth to cook the potatoes instead of water, but make sure to adjust the amount of salt.
- If you are not serving the potatoes immediately, you can keep them warm up to 4 hours in the Instant Pot. In that case, add 4 more tablespoons of butter (2 stick total). After the mashed potatoes are ready, select “slow cooker” in LOW mode. Cover with the Instant Pot lid and stir occasionally, every hour or so.
LOOKING MORE MORE INSTANT POT RECIPES?
- Instant Pot Apple Butter
- Instant Pot Barbecue Ribs
- Instant Pot Mojo Chicken
- Instant Pot Drunken Beans
- Instant Pot Mexican Pulled Pork
- Instant Pot Teriyaki Turkey Meatballs
Make sure you save this recipe for holidays because It’s a crowd-pleaser and outrageously yummy!
- 5 lb potatoes (Russet or Yukon)
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt plus more, to taste
- 4 cups water
- 2/3 cup half-and-half or whole milk, warm
- 12 tablespoons butter , melted (11/2 stick)
- Freshly ground black pepper (optional)
- Finely chopped fresh chives (optional)
- Additional pat of butter to serve (optional)
Peel and cut potatoes into 1- inch cubes.
Place the potatoes in the Instant Pot. Add water and salt. Secure lid on the pot. Close the pressure-release valve. Select “Manual”. Cook on high pressure 10 minutes. When the time is complete use quick release to depressurize.
Drain the potatoes and put them back into the pot.
Mash or rice the potatoes. Add in the butter and continue Mashing or ricing them until butter is absorbed. Then add half-and-half (or milk). Mash or rice them until you reach the consistency you like.
Taste your potatoes and add more salt as needed. Add pepper to your liking if using. Spoon into your serving dish and top with chopped chives and a pat of butter, if desired.
If you are not serving the potatoes immediately, let the mashed potatoes cool completely and refrigerate in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days or freeze up to 3 months.
To Reheat the mashed potatoes in the oven, place in a covered dish at 350° F for about 20-25 minutes, or until the potatoes are completely heated through.
📱When you make this recipe, be sure to snap a photo and hashtag it #MommysHomeCooking. I’d love to see what you cook!
* This post contains affiliate links, thank you for the support in keeping Mommy’s Home Cooking up and running!