This simply, Easy Creamy Coleslaw recipe is the ultimate side dish! Made in just minutes, this delicious and crowd-pleasing salad gets even better the next day. My secret is a luscious buttermilk dressing.
This Easy Creamy Coleslaw recipe is one I use again and again! It’s a family recipe and we have made it for years. it does not make an appearance just in summer, it’s more like a year-round salad for our family, which I usually make with eggless mayonnaise in order to make it safe for my youngest daughter.
The secret to a showstopper coleslaw is the dressing!
This Buttermilk Salad Dressing recipe that is quick, simple, and epically delicious. It’s creamy, tangy, slightly sweet, and totally luscious.
How to Keep Cabbage Fresh Longer?
Do not wash the cabbage until you are ready to use it. Store it whole in the refrigerator in a plastic bag.
How Long Can You Keep Fresh Cabbage in The Refrigerator?
Store cabbage (whole) in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks in a plastic bag.
Here’s my family’s coleslaw recipe. I hope you to make it soon. I’m sure you’ll absolutely love it as much as we do!
Easy Creamy Coleslaw
- 1 medium green cabbage, about 4-inch head (see notes)
- 1 small red cabbage, about 2-3 inch head (see notes)
- 3 medium carrots, peeled and shredded
- 1/2 cup loosely packed fresh cilantro leaves, chopped (see notes)
- Buttermilk dressing
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- Wash the cabbage and remove the outer leaves. Place the cabbage on a cutting board with the core side down. Slice the cabbage in half from top to bottom (core), place each cabbage half cut-side down and cut half in half again, vertically from the top through the core.
- Starting at the end opposite the core, cut crosswise into thin strips. if you'd like longer strands cut the cabbage vertically.
- In a large bowl, toss together the shredded cabbage, carrot, and cilantro.
- Toss the vegetables with the buttermilk dressing. Taste and adjust to your liking adding more salt and pepper to taste.
- Refrigerate for at least 2 hours before serving. This coleslaw is best if served within a day.
- Grilled Barbecue Shrimp and Corn Avocado Salad Bowls
- Watercress Salad with Raspberry Vinaigrette
- Roasted Tomato Caprese Salad
- Copycat Chick fil A Superfood Salad
- Couscous Tabbouleh Salad
- Potato and Beet Salad
📱When you make this recipe, be sure to snap a photo and hashtag it #MommysHomeCooking. I’d love to see what you cook!
* This post contains affiliate links, thank you for the support in keeping Mommy’s Home Cooking up and running!