This Blood Orange Margarita is a gorgeous and delicious cocktail perfect for celebrating just about anything. It’s refreshing, sweet, and full of citrusy flavor. If you make this, expect plenty of requests for more.
Blood Orange Margarita Recipe
Are you guys ready to celebrate Cinco de Mayo? Because I have the most perfect and delicious cocktail for you: Blood Orange Margarita!!
In the past weeks, I’ve developed a few recipes, for another site, with blood oranges and since then I have fallen in love with this citrus. For those who are not familiar with these fruits, blood orange is a variety of orange with blood-colored flesh and delicious raspberry-like notes.
This Blood Orange Margarita is sinfully delicious!! It has a perfect balance: refreshing, sweet, and hinted with lime. It really is a party in your mouth. I mean, just look at that color!!!
Blood oranges are in season from December through May, but if you can’t find them, or you want to enjoy this cocktail when they’re out of season, you can use this juice. It tastes very good and it’s available all year long, just make sure to reduce the amount of simple syrup as the juice has some sugar added.
There’s so much going on here: citrus orange flavors, tart lime juice, sweet, and of course tequila. A bonus ingredient: Cointreau liqueur. Have you had this stuff yet? Besides being a component of several well-known cocktails it also is drunk as an apéritif and digestif. It’s DELICIOUS.
I am confident that if you mix up a pitcher of these, they would disappear in no time, alongside the chips and salsa, of course. After all, there is nothing better than a salty-sweet margarita and some chips and guacamole/salsa, right?
Whether you’re flying solo on the deck or hanging with friends, they’ll be an instant hit.
Perfect for kick-starting your weekend!!!
Blood Orange Margarita
- 4 oz tequila (I used 100% agave Añejo Patron)
- 4 oz blood orange juice (see notes)
- 2 oz lime juice
- 2 oz Cointreau
- 1 ½ oz simple syrup , or to taste
For a crowd:
- 2 cups tequila
- 2 cups blood orange juice (see notes)
- 1 cup lime juice
- 1 cup Cointreau
- ¾ cup simple syrup , or to taste
- Ice cubes or crushed ice, to taste
- Fresh lime and orange blood wedges, to garnish (optional)
- Kosher salt, for rimming the glass (optional)
Make 2 Cocktails:
- Add tequila, blood orange juice, lime juice, Cointreau, and simple syrup into a cocktail shaker, or container, and stir well.
- Pour over ice in a cocktail glass. Garnish with fresh lime and/or orange blood wedges, if desired.
Make a Pitcher:
- Combine tequila, blood orange juice, lime juice, Cointreau, and simple syrup into a pitcher. Add fresh lime and/or orange blood wedges, if desired. Give it a stir and then place it in the refrigerator to chill. Be sure to prep this at least an hour before serving so that it can get nice and cold in the refrigerator.
- When ready to serve, pour over ice in a cocktail glass.
If you like a salt-rimmed glass:
- Pour the kosher salt onto a plate. Moist the rim of a glass with a lime wedge. Dip the rim of the glass into the salt. Fill glass with margarita mixture; repeat for each glass.
For the simple syrup:
- In a medium saucepan over medium heat, stir together equal parts of water and sugar, I usually add 1 cup of sugar and 1 cup of water. Bring to a boil, stirring, until sugar has completely dissolved. Remove from heat and allow to cool to room temperature. Store in a covered jar in the refrigerator up to 4 weeks. Use to sweeten any of your favorite drinks.
- Apple Firebeer Cocktail
- Watermelon Summer Splash Cocktail
- Apple Cranberry Caramel Cocktail
- Spicy Salsa Margarita
- Green Apple Sangria
- Pineapple Michelada
- Roasted Cranberry Margarita [Video]