These Chicken and Corn Enchiladas with Creamy Green Sauce are cheesy, slightly spicy and sensationally delicious!
Green Chicken and Corn Enchiladas Recipe
Mexican food is something I never get tired of. My family really enjoys the flavors so I make Mexican-inspired dishes often.
I love this cuisine because there is so much going on. The flavors are light and fresh, and every plate is full of colors.
If you are a corn lover (like me), if you love anything creamy and cheesy (like me), these Chicken and Corn Enchiladas with Creamy Green Sauce will hit the spot.
I LOVE meals like this Chicken and Corn Enchiladas with Creamy Green Sauce!! Not only does this dish is fun to eat with all the colors and flavors and freshness, but it is completely hearty and satisfying too.
They’re totally simple and totally delicious! A weeknight meal perfection.
Green CHICKEN and Corn ENCHILADAS ENCHILADA INGREDIENTS:
Chicken: I typically have frozen shredded chicken ready to use but feel free to use pre-cooked chicken, such as a shredded rotisserie.
Salsa Verde: If you want to amp up your game, try to make your own Salsa Verde, if not, use the canned/bottled stuff. It works perfectly fine.
Corn: My family loves corn so I decided to add a can of sweet corn cream style to the chicken. This ingredient adds a delicious layer of flavor and makes the filling creamy and irresistible.
Tortillas: corn tortillas are traditional in enchiladas, but you can also use flour tortillas is that is what you have handy or you prefer. Flour tortillas are much easier to roll.
HOW TO MAKE Green CHICKEN and corn ENCHILADAS:
Make the filling: saute veggies. Add corn, heavy cream, salsa verde, chicken, and cheese. Season with salt and pepper.
Warm tortillas: Stack tortillas flat, and wrap in damp paper or kitchen towels; microwave on high for 1 minute to soften.
Assemble: Lay a single tortilla on a flat surface. Then spoon a generous amount of your filling mixture in a line down the middle of the tortilla. Roll up and arrange in the baking dish. Repeat with all the tortillas.
Bake all that goodness for 20 – 25 minutes in the oven.
How do you warm corn tortilla?
Stack tortillas flat, and wrap in damp paper or kitchen towels; microwave on high for 1 minute to soften.
What kind of tortillas are used for enchiladas?
Corn tortillas are traditional in enchiladas, but you can also use flour tortillas is that is what you have handy or you prefer. Flour tortillas are much easier to roll.
Can I freeze enchiladas?
Yes! To freeze the enchiladas tightly wrap the baking pan with foil, make sure is well wrapped to prevent freezer burn. Freeze for up to 3 months.
How to reheat enchiladas
Preheat the oven to 375˚ F. Cover baking dish with foil. Place baking dish in the oven and reheat for 15 -20 minutes if they are just refrigerated, or 45 – 50 minutes is they are frozen.
LOOKING FOR MORE Mexican Inspired RECIPES?
- Instant Pot Mexican Pulled Pork
- Easy Mexican Rice
- Mexican Short Ribs
- Mexican Pork Tenderloin Adobo
- Easy Ground Beef for Tacos Recipe
Chicken and Corn Enchiladas with Creamy Green Sauce
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil (any neutral taste oil works)
- 1 cup onion , diced
- 1 cup bell pepper , diced (I used red and green peppers)
- 3 garlic cloves , minced
- 1 can (14.75 oz) sweet cream corn style
- ¾ cup heavy cream
- 2 cups salsa verde (divided)
- 2 – 3 cups shredded cooked chicken
- 12 oz (3 cups) Monterey Jack cheese, shredded (divided)
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- 12 corn tortillas
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro , chopped (optional)
- 1/2 cup tomatoes , diced (optional)
- Preheat oven to 400º F. Grease an 9-by-13-inch baking dish. Set aside.
- Heat oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add the onion and peppers and cook until soft and caramelized - about 5 minutes. Add the garlic; cook for one more minute. Add sweet corn cream; mix to combine. Turn off the heat and add heavy cream and ¾ cup salsa verde. Fold in the shredded chicken meat and 1 cup Monterey Jack cheese. Taste and adjust seasoning, to your liking, with salt and pepper.
- Stack tortillas flat, and wrap in damp paper or kitchen towels; microwave on high for 1 minute to soften.
- Working with one tortilla at a time, fill with 1/3 cup chicken mixture. Roll up and arrange, seam side down, in the baking dish. Top with remaining salsa verde and cheese.
- Bake until cheese is melted and salsa is bubbling, about 25-30 minutes. Serve, sprinkled with chopped tomato and cilantro, if desired.
The Ultimate Guide to Eggless Baking!
Includes more than 70 easy-to-make recipes along with full-color photos, detailed instructions, and helpful tips for spectacular results.Pre-Order Now!
When you make this recipe, be sure to snap a photo and hashtag it #MommysHomeCooking. I’d love to see what you cook!
* This post contains affiliate links, thank you for the support in keeping Mommy’s Home Cooking up and running!
Originally posted April 2017, updated in May 2019 and post content edited to add more helpful information, no change to the recipe.