This Eggless Apple Cake is so easy to make! It’s moist, tender, and absolutely delicious. Perfect for breakfast or as a dessert. Its taste will delight family and friends. The recipe includes step-by-step instructions and lots of tips.
Eggless Apple Cake Recipe Highlights
I REALLY like the yummy Fall desserts! Eggless Pumpkin Bread is definitely my first love when it comes to Fall flavors, but this eggless apple spice cake is very close behind!
This apple spice cake is always on rotation when we have an abundance of apples. Not only does it look super spectacular with all the streusel lining the top of the cake, but it tastes incredible as well!
It’s moist, tender, and absolutely delicious. This Eggless Apple Spice Cake is really something to be marveled at! Plus, it is super easy to make – you don’t even need a mixer -with simple ingredients.
It’s sooo good that you’ll want it all year round.
Ingredients You’ll Need, Substitutions & Notes
Amounts are included in the printable recipe below (scroll down). You’ll need:
- Flour: I used white whole wheat flour in this recipe, but you can use half whole-wheat flour + half all-purpose flour. You can also use just all-purpose flour, but the texture will be fluffy rather than dense.
- Baking powder & Baking soda: Make sure they’re not expired or too old. To avoid a chemical aftertaste, make sure your baking powder is labeled aluminum free. I usually use the Clabber Girl brand, and though the ingredients state aluminum, I’ve never noticed an aluminum aftertaste.
- Apple pie spice: This is a blend of ground cinnamon, nutmeg, and allspice and is easily found in most American grocery stores. If this blend is not available in your country, you can use ½ tsp nutmeg, ½ tsp allspice, and 1 tsp ground cinnamon.
- Salt: I prefer kosher or sea salt. If you only have table salt handy, I recommend reducing the amount to half.
- Brown sugar: You can use light or dark brown sugar.
- Maple syrup: You can substitute maple syrup for agave nectar.
- Butter: I prefer to use unsalted butter, but if you only have salted butter handy, you can use it. In this case, skip the salt called in the recipe.
- Applesauce: I use and recommend unsweetened applesauce.
- Buttermilk: You don’t have buttermilk? No problem!! Check out my recipe for Easy Homemade Buttermilk Substitute [Video].
- Vanilla extract: For optimal flavor, reach for pure vanilla instead of imitation. Even better, try homemade vanilla extract!
- Apples: My favorite apples for baking are Braeburn, Cortland, Honey Gold, Jonathan, Fuji, and Granny Smith apples. You want to use baking apples that are firm enough to hold up while they bake. I used Fuji apples.
- Spice Streusel: This is optional, but if you decide to make it, you’ll need all-purpose flour, brown sugar, apple pie spice, salt, butter, and vanilla extract.
Overview: How to Make Egg-Free Apple Spice Cake Step-by-Step
Please check the recipe card at the bottom of the post for exact quantities and detailed instructions (scroll down).
Step 1 – Prepare the Equipment
Preheat the oven to 350º F (180º C). Grease and flour a 9-inch Non-stick springform pan.
Step 2 – Combine the Ingredients
In a large bowl, combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, apple pie spice, and salt.
In another bowl, combine brown sugar, maple syrup, butter, applesauce, buttermilk, and vanilla.
Stir in flour mixture just until combined. Fold in chopped apples. Spread batter in the prepared baking pan.
Step 3 – Make the Streusel (optional)
Prepare the streusel (if using). Combine flour, brown sugar, apple pie spice, and salt in a medium bowl. Drizzle melted butter and vanilla. Toss with a fork to combine. Sprinkle the top of the cake with the streusel.
Step 4 – Bake the Cake
Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Remove the cake from the oven and set the pan on a wire rack. Allow cooling for at least 30 minutes before topping or serving.
Substitutions & Additions
- Nuts. Add some texture to your cake by adding 1 cup of chopped pecan or walnuts.
- Frosting. Skip the streusel on top and decorate your cake you cream cheese frosting. In this case, make sure your cake is completely cool before icing.
- Extra Spiced. Besides the apple pie spice, add 1/4 teaspoon each ground ginger & allspice for an extra spiced cake.
- Gluten-Free. Substitute all-purpose flour for 1-to-1 Gluten-Free flour. This is my favorite brand. Just be sure to stir the batter longer than normal to help give the baked goods proper structure. Also, gluten-free batters need to rest. So let your batter rest for about 30 minutes, so the flour has time to hydrate and soften before baking it.
- Dairy-Free. Use oil instead of butter. And make your own dairy-free buttermilk by mixing 1/4 cup of your favorite plant-based milk + 3/4 teaspoon of vinegar.
Measure the ingredients correctly. I highly recommend using a kitchen scale to avoid using too much flour. This prevents you from ending up with a dense coffee cake.
If you do not have apple pie spice, you can make your own by mixing together ½ tsp nutmeg, ½ tsp allspice, and 1 tsp ground cinnamon.
Do not overmix the batter, or you’ll end up with an extra dense cake.
Every oven is different, so baking times always have to be taken with a grain of salt. Oven thermostats can be wildly off, and that will all affect baking time, so keep an eye on yours. The cake is ready when a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
Storing & Freezing Instructions
Can’t eat a whole apple cake in one sitting? Here’s how to store the extra.
As this cake is moist, store it in a dry place at cool room temperature. If the weather is very hot or humid, you can store the cake in the refrigerator for up to 5 days. Wrap it well so it doesn’t absorb other odors.
Here’s how to freeze your homemade apple spice cake without eggs:
- Let the cake cool completely.
- Wrap it up in aluminum foil, then with plastic wrap.
- Place inside a large freezer Ziploc bag and freeze for up to 3 months.
Thaw the eggless apple cake overnight in the refrigerator and bring it to room temperature before slicing and serving when ready to enjoy.
Frequently Asked Questions
My favorite apples for baking are Braeburn, Cortland, Honey Gold, Jonathan, Fuji, Gala, and Granny Smith apples. You want to use baking apples that are firm enough to hold up while they bake.
Feel free to skip the streusel! I find it adds a lot of delicious texture to the apple cake, but skip it if you’re not a fan. You can even add diced apples on top before baking in place of the streusel if you wish.
Yes! Grease or line a muffin tin and preheat the oven to 350º F. Make the cake batter as directed and divide it to the muffin tin. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the middle of a muffin comes out clean.
Yes, you can! Vegetable or canola oil is the best option for this cake.
More Egg-Free Apple Recipes You’ll Love!
- Easy Apple Butter
- Eggless Apple Cider Donut Cake
- Easy Apple Crumble with Oats
- Eggless Apple Cinnamon Rolls
- Eggless Baked Apple Oatmeal Muffins
- Eggless Apple Cider Donuts
- Browse more recipes…
Recipe Card 📖
Eggless Apple Spice Cake
- 2 cups (280 g) white whole wheat flour (see notes)
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 ½ teaspoon apple pie spice
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- 2/3 cup (134 g) packed brown sugar
- ½ cup (120 ml) maple syrup
- ½ cup (115 g) unsalted butter, melted (1 stick)
- ¼ cup unsweetened applesauce
- ¼ cup (60 ml) buttermilk
- 2 teaspoon (10 ml) pure vanilla extract
- 3 cups (about 350 g) peeled & chopped apples (I used Fuji apples)
- Preheat oven to 350º F (180º C). Line a 9-inch springform pan pans with parchment paper. Lightly grease with baking spray with flour.
- In a large bowl combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, apple pie spice, and salt.
- In another bowl combine, brown sugar, maple syrup, butter, applesauce, buttermilk, and vanilla.
- Add the flour mixture into the wet ingredients; mix just until combined. Fold in chopped apples.
- Spread batter in therepared baking pan.
Prepare the Streusel (optional):
- In a medium bowl, combine flour, brown sugar, apple pie spice, and salt. Drizzle melted butter and vanilla. Toss with a fork to combine. Sprinkle the top of the cake with the streusel.
- Bake for 25 – 30 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Let the cake cool in the pan on wire racks for 15 minutes before removing it from the pan. Allow the cake to cool completely.
- If you do not have apple pie spice, you can make your own by mixing together ½ teaspoon nutmeg, ½ teaspoon allspice, and 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon.
- Do not overmix the batter, or you’ll end up with a dense cake.
- Every oven is different, so baking times always have to be taken with a grain of salt. Oven thermostats can be wildly off, and that will all affect baking time, so keep an eye on yours. The cake is ready when a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Measure the ingredients correctly. I highly recommend using a kitchen scale to avoid using too much flour. This prevents you from ending up with a dense coffee cake.
Eggless Baking Frequently Asked Questions
You’ve asked, and I’ve answered! Read on for a handful of answers to the most frequently asked questions about eggless baking.
This recipe was originally published on October 2017. The recipe remains the same, but more notes, tips, photos, and information have been added to the post in September 2022 to make it as helpful as possible!